Sunday, April 4, 2010

Columbia, SC to Chattanooga TN - April 2nd

Oriented for Chattanooga...Good Friday Traffic....
Heavy in both directions...
Rest stop...
One of these wheels is not like the other...

The Story Unfolds...

Some of you may wonder why we stay at Flying J's when they do not all give you the same sense of security. Well, the answer is simple, the Flying J's are all just off the Interstates, they have RV lanes where it is easy to fuel up, lanes to park the rig in and grassy areas (at least in the East) to walk the dogs...oh and they have WIFI that usually works well!
Yesterday while Richard was on the mission to get a new tire and I found myself at the Flying J without the truck attached (read the post) and I met 'Brad Pitt', I can tell you that my mission was to find a campground to move to if Richard felt uneasy too. The one I found was called Barnyard Campground...okay, I know that doesn't conjure up very good images but their web site looked nice, they were located right behind the Barnyard Flea Market (not that that is good when you only have 287 square feet to live in you tend to not buy much stuff!). When I called them they were full! Where did I put my KOA (Kampgrounds of America) guide again? I must find that quick! we don't usually like Wallmarts but it worked out okay and soon we were on the Interstate 20 again headed for Atlanta and then North West to Chattanooga on I 75.

Once I found the KOA guide we stopped for the day (day 2) at around 4 pm at the Chattanooga South KOA. It was hilly, noisy from the Interstate behind us, and the sites were uneven gravel. We changed sites and found one that seemed okay but the place was mainly gravel and Reggie the Pekingese we travel with did not like the feel of it on his paws... At ten pm Richard said to me "come out and see this" ..I thought the moon might have been up but he was showing me that I 75 northbound was blocked, at a standstill, and it was like that at 3 am when he walked Rudy. What a mess! Glad we never drive in the dark...

We debated staying on I 75 all the way to Ohio and the exit for the Airstream Plant, and passing though Knoxville rather than Nashville but in the end we opted for I 24 to Nashville. Day three would be Chattanooga to Bowling Green Kentucky (4 hr drive).

No comments:

Post a Comment